About Me

My photo
There are only two things you need to know about me: 1. I'm a strong believer of the butterfly effect. 2. I am [hopefully] the most random person you'll ever meet.... but I like it.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

09. Runaway Cinderella

“I feel kinda guilty abandoning my friends.” I told him.
“I’m sure they’re just having fun somewhere.” He smiled at me.
“I’m sure.” I agreed with him as I leant in for another kiss.
When we entered his room, he locked the door behind us, it wasn’t just sexual anymore, it was more than that; we actually wanted to get to know each other. So in between kisses and cuddling, we got to know a little bit more.
“I’m sorry.” I said. “About your parents, you never even got to know them.”
“It’s not as bad as it sounds.  You never miss what you never had. If I knew them, it would have been a lot more painful talking about it, besides grams and her husband were literally the best parents any one could ask for. I count everything as a blessing.”
I was blown away by his level of maturity, this was definitely the kind of guy I wanted in my life, too bad I wasn't as mature. “You’re not even a bit curious about them?” I should really learn to let sleeping dogs lie.
“I am and my grandparents have told me everything there is to know about them, the good and the bad. I see my father’s parents twice every year. More occasionally now with grams.” he said “if I am curious I just ask about them. Your turn”
“Well, what is there to know...I'm not your everyday girl, you really have to unravel me.”
“And I will…cause I want to know you…” he whispered before kissing me.
“My favorite author…Sidney Sheldon.” I said.
“Dan Brown.” he replied
“Best ice cream flavor….Caramel.”
“Chocolate.” he said.
Simple, i like it.
“So far we have nothing in common. Best sport?”
“Football.”
“I hate sports.” I said. “but I could wear those cheerleading outfits if you want, I still fit into mine from high school.”
“You were a cheerleader in high school?” he asked “that’s hot!!”
“And I’m pretty sure you were a geek in high school.” I laughed. It was fun getting to know him, he was a beautiful person inside out.
At that moment he placed his hand on my exposed thigh and began kissing my neck “Girls like you would have never spoken to me in high school.”
But I couldn’t say anything, I couldn’t defend myself, I was lost in his kisses, I didn’t want him to stop.
I felt his hand inch up on my thigh, I was about to have sex with Jeremy and I’ve never even kissed Aaron, how unfair was that. “I can’t.” I said
“We weren’t going to…” he said “It’s just fooling around.”
“Look,  I need to tell you something…there's another guy in my life, Aaron, you saw me with him.” I noticed Jeremy’s mood drop even as I said it.
“I should have figured.”
“I’ve been in love with him for over two years… and he finally asked me out after I kissed you and now, he wants to get serious. He’s a nice guy, really nice but he doesn’t turn me on like you do, we don’t have chemistry. It feels right that you and I should be together.” I said.
I knew I was putting pressure on what I had with Jeremy but I just really wanted to know where I stood with him. I knew he liked me but I wanted to be sure he wasn’t going to run out on me when things got serious.
“Be with him.” Jeremy said quietly…now, that was not the answer I was hoping to hear.
“What?” I sprang up.
“I don’t think you should give up on him…you could have something special with him.” He said.
“So what is this that we’re doing. Are you just using me? Am I a silly little college girl whom you can just shove around as you wish. I bet you even a girlfriend, one that you’re actually in love with.” I said getting up from his bed. I hadn’t realized that tears were falling from my eyes. I didn’t even know I felt this strongly about him.
“It’s not like that, Mel, I’m in love with you.” he said then paused. I guess those words surprised him as much as it surprised me.
“I bet you think that’s just what I want to hear.” I said storming towards the door.
“At least give me a chance to explain.” He rushed after me.
“No thanks.” I said as I tried to unlock the door but the tears just made me fumble.
“Mel,” he said as he reached me   
“What do you want from me?” I asked solemnly.
“I want to be with you..but I can’t…it’s complicated.” He said as he kissed my bare shoulders.
“I can handle complicated.”
“Not this one you can’t, why don’t you let me sort everything out and I’ll come find you, I promise.”
I could finally see clearly now, literally, my tears had dried up at his soothing voice, but I wasn’t a dummy, I could see clearly now. Figuratively. “Thanks but no thanks.” I said as I unlocked the door. “My friends would be looking for me, they appreciate me a lot more than you do.” I said just before I calmly walked out of his room.


Jamie was the one I came across first, she was speaking Italian with a handsome, older guy…maybe in his late twenties.
“Where have you been?” she said in English as soon as she spotted me. I snatched up her champagne glass from her hand. “I’d forgotten you knew how to speak Italian.” I said not even looking at the guy she was with.
"Excuse me.” she said to him and then led me aside “what’s wrong?” she asked.
"It’s nothing that can’t wait till tomorrow?” I said. I wasn’t going to ruin everyone’s night just because mine was ruined.
“You can talk to me.” Jamie said.
“Really, its nothing.” I said. At that moment I spotted Leon and waved him over, his girlfriend wasn’t by his side, thank goodness. I introduced him to Jamie and drifted off as they spoke.
I had expected Jeremy to be searching for me by now, with how he can explain everything. But he was nowhere in sight.
“A dollar for your thoughts.” James said. I hadn’t even seen him and Allyson join us. I looked at Leon who seemed smitten by Ally..he couldn’t stop staring at her, or should I say he couldn’t stop staring at her cleavage.
Everyone was talking, everyone was laughing. They went on about how amazing the night was but I couldn’t wait to go home.
“Jeremy.” Jamie called subtly nudging at me.
We all turned around to look at him. He said hello to everyone and stared me down. “Mel…we need to talk…..privately.”
“I have nothing to say to you.” I said. I knew this was awkward for everyone that was listening in.
“But Mel…”
“Oh there you are…you just disappeared.” A gorgeous looking red-haired girl, from what I could tell, said as she walked up to Jeremy. She was busty and she had a lovely figure and brownish-green eyes. I was immediately jealous. “I’ve missed you.” she told him shyly.
Jeremy was uncomfortable, I could tell, we all looked on for an explanation, we were all curious as to who she was. But I already knew…she was his girlfriend. Call it instincts or whatever.
Apparently Leon knew who she was too, “Hey Hanna.” He said.
“Long time, no see….” She smiled at him, “how have you been?”
“I’m sorry, who are you?”  Jamie asked rudely.
“Oh, I’m sorry.” She said. flashing us her gorgeous smile. “I’m Hanna, Jeremy’s fiancée”
No, not girlfriend, FIANCEE, FI-fucking-ANCEE. I was wrong.
“Nice to meet you.” I blurted out. I wasn’t thinking. “Wow, look at the time.” I said looking at the large clock on the wall “It’s midnight, I have to go, big test tomorrow.” I lied.
Without preamble, I walked out. Walked??!! Who am I kidding, I ran out. He was engaged? What the fuck? I never pegged Jeremy as the cheater type.
I didn’t even realize I was out of the house until a flood of fresh air assaulted me. I took a deep breath as I waited for a while, but that was no time to stop, if Jeremy was chasing me, which he was, he could have caught up with me.
As I fumbled down the stairs, I felt my right shoe come off. As I turned to pick it up, I saw Jeremy come out of the house. “Melanie….”
Fuck the shoe, I thought as I took off the other one from my leg and ran away.
He finally lost me somewhere in the parking lot, but I didn’t lose him. I knew where he was every step of the way. I hid behind a car as I watched him wander around the parking lot looking for me.
He finally gave up and went back to the house, but as he reached the staircase at the entrance, he bent down to pick up my shoe. He held it briefly before entering the house with slumped shoulders. At that moment, I broke into tears, how could I have been naïve?
Tonight, we talked about anything and everything. Even though we had nothing in common, it was almost as if we were meant to be. I could have sworn I was in love with him and I was ready to hurt Aaron, a perfectly good guy, over it.
I was a shrewd, and I met my match and had learnt  my lesson.
I didn’t know I had so much tears, I thought, as I cried…rather, I wept…uncontrollably.
Jeremy. I would never EVER forgive him.
I thought about my lost shoe. I’d dreamt of a Cinderella moment for a while, but this was not what I had in mind.
“A penny for your thoughts.” A familiar male voice said above me.
“Leon?”
“Mind if I join you?” he asked.
Nothing worse could  happen, right?


To be continued…………….

No comments:

Post a Comment