About Me

My photo
There are only two things you need to know about me: 1. I'm a strong believer of the butterfly effect. 2. I am [hopefully] the most random person you'll ever meet.... but I like it.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

14. All is right in the world...Almost.


Hi, my name is Melanie and I’m happy to tell you that my life is back on track.
Where do I even begin?
Aaron and I are going four months strong and believe it or not, but I may be falling in love with him.
Leon and Ally are dating…finally. After I introduced them, there was no denying the chemistry between them.
But that the best part is…..*wait for it*…. I’m over Jeremy. Don’t roll your eyes, it’s true. I haven’t even seen him in the longest while, how great is that?
It may or may not have something to do with therapist I saw briefly during the break, or the sensei, or the fortune teller, or the spiritual consultant. Okay, so I saw a lot of people to help me find my path to happiness. At least, it worked.
I’m a whole new Melanie and nothing [and by ‘nothing’ I mean ‘no one’] is going to change that. Simple as that.




“Let’s go out.” Jamie said. “I haven’t had a drink in thirty-six hours. I think I’m going into withdrawal.”
I laughed “Alcoholic.”
“And proud of it.”
Ally was on her bed fiddling away at her phone and laughing.
“She’s texting Leon.” Jamie said.
“I know. It’s so nauseating to watch them.”
“You shouldn’t be complaining…you have a boyfriend.”
“I do, don’t I?” I smiled “I don’t deserve him, he’s so amazing.”
Jamie said, “You ladies are boring, are we going out or not? I’m suffocating in this room.”
“Yeah, yeah, we’re going out.” Ally said “Is it okay if Leon joins us?”
“No! It’s not okay. This is a girls’ night, you do know what the word ‘girls’ means, right?”
“No need to be grumpy, I get it.”
“She’s always grumpy.” I said.
Jamie smiled, “Someone call James, no one loves ‘Girls’ night’ like James does.”
“You do know what the word ‘girls’ means, right?” Allison retorted.



I packed up my books and headed to class the next morning, my head throbbed mercilessly from my hangover. I had missed this.
I had missed hanging out with my best friends and I had missed having feelings for Aaron and I had missed my life pre-Jeremy.
But now everything was back to normal; I had feelings for Aaron again, I was spending more and more time with my friends and I hadn’t seen Jeremy in forever.
I strolled from my room to class. I let myself enjoy the moment…who knew how long it would last.
I was at my class door when my phone rang, I didn’t recognize the number.
“Hello…”
“Melanie…Melly bear is that you? It’s your dad.”
“Dad?”
I stood immobilized at the class door, “dad?” I said again.
I could hear him breathing on the other end of the line; I hadn’t seen my father in over fourteen years after he walked out of my life on my sixth birthday.
For the longest time I blamed my mother for my dad leaving but deep down I always knew the truth…he was a coward. A big fat coward who ran the first chance he got.
“Fuck you!” I said just before ending the call.
I expelled those words; I hadn’t even realized I had been holding my breath.
I passed my hand through my hair in frustration. What was I supposed to do now? I couldn’t go pretending he was dead, that had always been the easiest solution.
What was I supposed to say if he called back? I had so many questions, too many questions. I wanted to hit him, I wanted to punch him, I wanted to fight him.
I backed away from the class door. I couldn’t take anything ruining the life I had just gotten to where I wanted it to be.
I spun around to run as fast as I could run to boyfriend’s room when I bumped into someone, causing both of us to fall to the ground.
“Melanie?” He said as he got up.
I sighed when I realized who it was. I couldn’t take anything ruining the life I had just gotten to where I wanted it to be.
He helped me up.
“It’s so good to see you.” He smiled.
I backed away from him, one step at a time. “I can’t do this right now.” I said “I can’t do this right now, Jeremy.”
With that, I spun around and ran on my heels.
Fuck! Holy fuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment