About Me

My photo
There are only two things you need to know about me: 1. I'm a strong believer of the butterfly effect. 2. I am [hopefully] the most random person you'll ever meet.... but I like it.

Monday, November 22, 2010

02. To Meet Someone New

“That was absolutely humiliating, you will never be able to live this down.” Jamie said
“You think I don’t already know that.” I said taking a sip from my glass. We were seated in a bar just outside school. Mostly only grad students came here, or people who lived around or worked in the company around the corner. Most undergrads went to the bar inside school. But here was our place, because it was comfortable, elegant, and hot older guys came here.
Jamie had a glass of lager in front of her, but I was having diet coke cause I couldn’t take alcohol because of the allergy medicine I was on.
“Common you guys, I’m sure Aaron was happy to help.” Allyson said as she sat down beside us followed closely by a waitress carrying a tray of tequila shots.
“Are those all for you?” I asked.
“You’re not the only one who had a shitty day,  Mel, but you’re welcome to join me.”
“No thanks.” I said
“Don’t mind if I do, mate.” Jamie said and grabbed two shots.
"Well what happened?” I asked curiously.
Allyson sank back into the soft leather surface of the couch she and Jamie were sitting on, taking my drink with her. After a sip, she spat it out. “What the hell, there’s no alcohol in here.’
“I’m on medication.” I explained.
“So what happened after he took you to the hospital?” Jamie asked.
“I was sedated and given allergy shots, I think I’m allergic to the pesticide that’s used on the plants or something like that. Well, Aaron waited till I woke up and brought me back to school…so sweet, isn’t he? But enough about that, I want to hear what’s got Allyson drinking like she’s Irish.”
“Melanie, it’s no big deal, I was just super wasted this morning, I forgot I had an a term paper to do. Crappy lecturers. And bartender Louie won’t stop hitting on me, he gave me all these shots for free.” she cussed.
Louie wasn’t what one would call “hot”, he was okay looking, decent even but definitely not a show stopper. He liked Allyson since the first day we walked into the bar, he made a habit of sending us free drinks and begging Jamie and I to talk to Allyson for him. We all thought it was a bit funny, cute even. Except Allyson, well, at least she had the decency not to string him along.
“I’m bored here..” Jamie said “No one’s buying us drinks tonight, let’s get out of here.”
“You can say that again.” I said as I stood up from my arm chair opposite them.
“You look good Melanie."

“I have to, you never know when I’ll see Aaron again.” I said. “Let’s do something really crazy, okay? At least the day can end well.”

Five hours later…
“You said crazy….” Jamie said with a sly smile as she saw me scowling at her.
“I know what I said but I didn’t mean vandalism….how humiliating sitting in a police jail.” I said as I looked around. The jail wasn’t as full as you’ll see in movies, it was just three of us, a prostitute and an old woman. Yes, an old woman.
“Lighten up Mel, it was fun.” Allyson added.
I laughed, “Yeah it was, I can’t remember the last time I got kicked out of a club.”
Jamie looked at the prostitute “I know why you’re in here, but what are you in here for?” she said pointing to the old lady.
“Lemme guess, shoplifting??”
“Give me some credit.” The old woman said “I tried to steal car.” She added proudly.
We all laughed “Are you kidding me? why?” Allyson asked
“My car got towed. But no worries, my grandson will be here to pick me up soon.”
Just then a police officer walked up to the door.  “You three, the club manager has decided not to press charges. You can leave….”
“What about me? Isn’t my grandson here already?”
“He might be a while.” The officer said.
“Well, I want to get out of this hell-hole now, can I wait in the lobby?” she asked sweetly.
“So, you can try and escape, we’re not falling for that again Maggie.” He said and turned back to us  “out.”
At the front desk…..
“I feel bad for the old lady….” Allyson said as we were getting our things.
“But there’s nothing we can do.” I said.
“Or is there? I’m going to try and see if I can post her bail.”
“But we don’t know her.” Jamie said.
“She seems harmless.” Allyson said before rushing off.

Outside the station……
“Thank you girls.” The old lady said as she passed a hand through her hair.
“Let’s get you into a cab.” Jamie said “and stay out of trouble.”
“I can make no promises.” She said “the night is still young.”
Allyson grabbed both our hands, Jamie and I “please…” she said, we knew what she already wanted. Allyson always had a good heart.
“Fine,” I said “we’ll take her home.”
All four of us got into a cab together. And went to the address she gave as her address.
“This place lady?” the cab driver asked.
“Yes dear, drive on up.” she said.
It was a mansion.  With a long ass drive way. And..and..and..let’s just say it was pretty big, fit for royalty.
“Well, thank you sonny.” she said and rubbed the cab drivers head and got out of the car. “One of you should pay for the cab...” She said “and come in for tea.”
“Whoa,” I said “you work here?” I asked
“Work here?” she laughed as she walked up to the door and rung the door bell. The door was opened by a gray-haired, chubby-faced butler who was surprised to see her standing outside. “I live here/” she said to us
“Lady Magdalene.” He said through tiny lips “You’re meant to be in your room.”
“Don’t be a stick in the mud, Anthony” she said.
“Ladies.” She turned to us “Welcome to my home.” She said removing her coat as she got entered the elegant hallway. Revealing a set of designer clothes under. She wore a Vera Weng black suit, with black and white Jimmy choo ankle boots, and black Prada stockings. She had on pearl earrings with a string of pearls around her neck and wrist.
We were just too absent minded to notice them before, she seemed like an average old woman initially.
She turned to us. We still standing on the doorstep, not sure what to do. “well are you coming in or not?” she asked.

Spending our night with an old lady?? This was definitely not how we planned the night to go. 


 to be continued........

No comments:

Post a Comment